Saint Marianne Cope is the central figure in the mural. She came to Hawaii specifically to care for those afflicted with Hansen’s disease. That began the legacy of caring that St. Francis Healthcare System carries on today. In the mural, those on the side of her each had a special role in St. Francis Healthcare System.
Princess Abigail Kawananakoa who was the first donor, raising money to support the Liliha hospital that opened in 1927.
King Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani issued an urgent plea to help people in the Kingdom of Hawaii who were being devastated by Hansen’s disease, known then as leprosy. Saint Marianne and the Sisters were the only ones willing to come and serve.
Maurice “Sully” Sullivan was a businessman who was so instrumental in supporting St. Francis over the years. The Sullivan Building is named in his honor. Within the building, on the third, fourth and fifth floors, is the Clarence T. C. Ching Villas. It is a way to honor all of those who have been so important to St. Francis Healthcare System.
Sister Maureen Keleher was a previous CEO of St. Francis. Under her leadership, St. Francis introduced many new health services to the islands, including hospice care.
Clarence T. C. Ching was a businessman who came from a large family and always believed in supporting others. The Clarence T. C. Ching Foundation pledged $4 million to support the Clarence T. C. Ching Villas. We are grateful to Ohana Pacific Management, which operates the Clarence T. C. Ching Villas, for donating the beautiful mural.
Saint Damien, Hawaii’s other saint, and Brother Dutton, who joined Saint Damien and Saint Marianne in Kalaupapa are also shown in the mural.